Self-publishing a book means that when you publish your book you do everything yourself. Instead of trying to get your book accepted by a large publishing company that will edit your manuscript, design your book cover, layout the interior text and take it to print, you take on the role that the publishing company would normally play.
Self-publishing a book has some benefits:
- You don’t waste your time submitting your book manuscript to publishers, waiting to hear back from them only to be rejected
- You don’t have to learn how to write a book proposal
- You don’t have to wait for the publisher to print your book (this sometimes takes several months to a year or more)
- You control the content of your book (some publishers won’t let you say certain things or won’t let you promote other products through your book)
- You decide what your cover design will look like
- You can get your book into print much faster
Self-publishing a book also has its drawbacks:
- You have to do everything yourself or find professionals—like ghostwriters, graphic designers, editors, etc.—to do it for you
- You must find a printer and pay the cost of printing yourself (if you decide to print boxes of books to stack in your garage)
- You are responsible for all the marketing for your book, including figuring out how to get it into bookstores, if that is your goal
- It’s all on you to get the job done. If you don’t do it, no one will.
Why Self-Publishing a Book is Great for Your Business
If you are a professional practice owner, speaker, coach or entrepreneur, self-publishing a book can be a great way to go. Self-publishing a book and getting it into print quickly gives you instant credibility in your market. Becoming a published author puts you head and shoulders above your competition. A book will help you generate leads for your business and encourage more people to do business with you because you are an author and expert.
If you are good at starting a project and seeing it through to completion, are comfortable taking the time to hire professionals to help with the publishing process and you have the time and money to write a book and get it to print yourself, self-publishing a book is a great way to go.